If you or someone you know needs help
Like the light from a candle, it only takes one to light a room, one to light so many others, and one to guide someone home.
• Speak out on behalf of all children.
• Tell someone. Report suspected abuse.
• Protect all children.
• Feel you're losing it? ... Go for a walk.
...… Take a bath.
...… Call a friend.
...… Call a hotline.
...… Count to 10, slowly. Repeat.
...… Step away from your child.
...… Stop. Take 3 slow, deep breaths. Repeat.
• Never hit your child.
• Never hit any person.
• Never belittle a child.
• Never use a child for sexual gratification.
• Never torture a child.
• Know that asking for help takes courage
and demonstrates strength.
• Take a communication class.
• Take a parenting class.
• Take an 'alternatives to violence' class.
• Take a break. Don't break someone's spirit.
Some things to do with your children
• Talk AND listen to your children.
• Be honest with your children.
• Spare the rod; spoil the child - with love.
• Give praise.
• Teach children that life is filled with lessons;
mistakes are opportunities for growth.
• Make time for the children in your life.
• Read to a child.
• Let a child read to you.
• Perform acts of kindness with your children.
• Respect your children.
• Encourage communication within your family.
• Make it safe to share/reveal feelings.
• Encourage and choose peaceful solutions.
• Demonstrate the healthy behavior you want to see.
• Create healthy family traditions.
• Make mealtime a pleasant time for sharing.
• Teach love.
• Be an inspiration.
• Teach rather than contol.
• Be the parent you wish you had.
• See your children as a gift; yourself as their guide.
Children are new to the planet. We do not own them. We are their guardians and their guides. We get to cherish them.
Taking care of yourself
Imagine your potential as a guiding light within the center of your being that radiates in response to your deepest desire, your soul’s wish, your true nature.
• Believe in your potential.
• Learn to meditate.
• Read a book about relationship skills.
• Read a book about parenting skills.
• Promise to change your harmful behavior.
• Decide NOW to get the help you need.
• Heal your wounds. Know you can.
• Honor your own boundaries.
• Trust more.
• Receive graciously.
• Make quality time for yourself.
• Honor yourself.
• Nurture yourself.
• Remember and honor the child you were.
• Do something you wanted to do as a child.
• Forgive yourself for not knowing more, then and now.
• Join a parenting group.
• Join a positive women/men's group.
• Renew your spirit.
In your community
• Become involved in your community.
• Demonstrate responsibility.
• Demonstrate respect.
• Perform conscious acts of kindness.
• Donate to a shelter for victims of domestic violence.
• Donate time, services, money to an organization that helps.
• Anonymously donate the cost of a counseling session.
• Become a child advocate.
• Join a mentoring program.
• Volunteer for an activity chosen by your child.
• Get involved in the legal system.
• Get involved in the political process.
• Write to your legislators.
• After you've gotten help, help another.
• Say thank you.
• Share your talents.
• Choose to make a positive difference from now on.
• Speak up about injustice. Share your ideas.
• Share this list.
Let your goodness shine!
It’s a gift that keeps on giving.
Peace and compassion are always present.
It is simply a matter of being willing to see
and willing to choose on their behalf
Habits worth keeping
• Have integrity. Say what you mean, do what you say.
• Be kind to animals.
• Speak the truth.
• Demonstrate compassion.
• Extend courtesy.
• Honor boundaries.
• Focus on the positive.
• Remember childlike innocence.
• Swing on a swing.
• Promote peace.
• Decrease violence. Increase joy.
• Care more.
• Focus on peace. Focus on compassion.
• Love more.
Things to think about
• Explore the true meaning of love.
• Know that love never hurts.
• Learn more about conflict resolution.
• Focus on the abundance of goodness all
• Expect miracles.
• Make wishes.
• Make your own list.
• Be part of the solution.
Love, in and of itself, cannot hurt.
Love comforts. Love inspires.
Love is everywhere.